The top section of this page contains links to useful documents and articles. Just click on the resource name for access.
The Education section has references for longer articles as well as courses and programs that you can access on line. To access academic journal articles, your institution may have library access, or you can try your state or territory library.
- Caring for Someone with a Mental Health Condition (My Aged Care)
- Depression and Ageing (Better Health Channel)
- Heart and Soul Matters: A guide to providing spiritual care in mental health settings (Spiritual Health Victoria)
- Mental Health of Older Australians (AIHW)
- Older People (beyondblue)
- Online Library for Families and Carers (Mind)
- Over Bl**dy 80! (beyondblue)
- Relapse Prevention – Older Adults (Dept of Health)
- Department of Health (2007) The Mental Health of Australians 2
- Dow (2015). Mental health and well-being in older people. Australasian Journal on Ageing, Vol 34 No 4 December, 220–223
- Fleming (2003) Depression and Spirituality in Australian Aged Care Homes, Journal of Religious Gerontology, 13:3-4, 107-116
- Kanitsaki, Olga (2003). Mental Health, Culture and Spirituality: Implications for the effective psychotherapeutic care of Australia’s ageing migrant population. Journal of Religious Gerontology, 13:3-4, 17-37
- MacKinlay (2002). Mental Health and Spirituality in Later Life. Haworth Press (Book)
- Mental Health Foundation (2006) The Impact of Spirituality on Mental Health – A literature review (UK)
- National Ageing Research Institute (2009). Depression in Older Age: A scoping study
- Older Person Mental Health First Aid – 12 hour course
- Professional Education to Aged Care – BeyondBlue e-learning (free)
- Snowden & Fleming (2007). Recognising Depression in Residential Facilities: An Australian Challenge
- White (2004) Spiritual and Pastoral Care Approaches for Helping Older Adults with Depression, Journal of Religious Gerontology, 16:3-4, 91-107
To find out about education in specialist spiritual care, please visit our Tertiary Course Guide in the Member’s Zone.