The top section of this page contains links to useful documents and articles. Just click on the resource name for access.
The Education section has references for longer articles as well as courses and programs that you can access on line. To access academic journal articles, your institution may have library access, or you can try your state or territory library.
- Ageing in the Shadows (USA)
- Alone in the Crowd: Loneliness and Diversity
- Breaking the Loneliness Cycle in Aged Care (Article)
- Campaign to End Loneliness (UK)
- Facts on Loneliness
- Loneliness is a Health Issues (Article)
- Loneliness Measures
- Loneliness Research
- Loneliness: The State We’re In (UK)
- Practical Innovation: Closing the social infrastructure gap
- Social Exclusion Monitor
- The Mary Foundation (Denmark)
- The Missing Million Report on Loneliness
- Brown, Eoin G., Stephen Gallagher, and Ann-Marie Creaven. “Loneliness and Acute Stress Reactivity: A Systematic Review of Psychophysiological Studies.” Psychophysiology 55, no. 5 (May 2018): e13031. https://doi.org/10.1111/psyp.13031.
- Brownie, Sonya, and Louise Horstmanshof. “The Management of Loneliness in Aged Care Residents: An Important Therapeutic Target for Gerontological Nursing.” Geriatric Nursing 32, no. 5 (September 1, 2011): 318–25. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.gerinurse.2011.05.003.
- Cacioppo, John T., and William Patrick. Loneliness: Human Nature and the Need for Social Connection. Loneliness: Human Nature and the Need for Social Connection. New York, NY, US: W W Norton & Co, 2008.
- Cacioppo, Stephanie, John P. Capitanio, and John T. Cacioppo. “Toward a Neurology of Loneliness.” Psychological Bulletin 140, no. 6 (2014): 1464–1504. https://doi.org/10.1037/a0037618.
- Hawkley, Louise C., and John T. Cacioppo. “Loneliness Matters: A Theoretical and Empirical Review of Consequences and Mechanisms.” Annals of Behavioral Medicine: A Publication of the Society of Behavioral Medicine 40, no. 2 (October 2010): 218–27. https://doi.org/10.1007/s12160-010-9210-8.
- Masi, Christopher M., Hsi-Yuan Chen, Louise C. Hawkley, and John T. Cacioppo. “A Meta-Analysis of Interventions to Reduce Loneliness.” Personality and Social Psychology Review 15, no. 3 (August 1, 2011): 219–66. https://doi.org/10.1177/1088868310377394.