The top section of this page contains links to useful documents and articles. Just click on the resource name for access.
The Education section has references for longer articles as well as courses and programs that you can access on line. To access academic journal articles, your institution may have library access, or you can try your state or territory library.
The spiritual practice section has links or examples that practitioners may find helpful. This is not an exhaustive list, and growing as a community resource.
Know of a great resource or educational tool that you think should be added to any of our pages? Contact email@example.com and let us know, we will review the resource for suitability to add to our growing community library.
- Actions to Support Older Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander People: Australian Government
- Aboriginal Spirituality
- Aged Care Diversity Framework: Australian Government
- Aged Care Diversity Framework Action Plans: Australian Government
- Aged Care Services Failing Stolen Generations – Article
- Banjo Clarke – Wisdom Man – speaking about dispossession
- ‘Bringing Them Home’ documentary
- Dying to Talk – conversation starter kit for Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander communities
- Elder role in indigenous communities
- Good Spirit Good Life Centre for Research Excellence
- HealingFoundation – hub for Indigenous healing sources
- Indigenous Spirituality
- Palliative Care and End of Life Resource Portal
- Prime Minister Kevin Rudd’s Sorry Speech 2008
- The Lowitja Institute
- Treetime Stories – Uncle Max speaking about connection with nature
- Working with Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander Communities
- Bennett, B; Green, S.; Gilbert, S. and Bessarab, D (2013) Our Voices: Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander social work, Palgrave Macmillan, Melbourne, Vic.
- Brooke NJ. Needs of Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander clients residing in Australian residential aged-care facilities. Aust J Rural Health. 2011 Aug;19 (4):166-70.
- Cobb, M; Puchalski, C & Rumbold, B (2014) “Indigenous Spiritualties” Oxford Textbook of Spirituality in Healthcare Oxford University Press. New York
- Fejo-King, C & Poona, J (2015), Reconciliation and Australian social work: past and current experiences informing future practice, Magpie Goose Publishing, Canberra, ACT.
- Grieves, V. (2009) Aboriginal Spirituality: Aboriginal Philosophy, The Basis of Aboriginal Social and Emotional Wellbeing, Discussion Paper No. 9, Cooperative Research Centre for Aboriginal Health, Darwin.
- McDermott, D & MacKinlay, E (2010) “Dorothy, Oogeroo and Blackfella Ageing: The Role of Spirituality When You’re Short on Culture and Can’t Find Your Red Shoes” Ageing and Spirituality across faiths and cultures. Jessica Kingsley Publishers. London and Philadelphia.
- McEwan, A & Tsey, K & the Empowerment Research Team (2008) The Role of Spirituality in Social and Emotional Wellbeing Initiatives: The Family Wellbeing in Yarrabah Discussion Paper No. 7. Cooperative Research Centre for Aboriginal Health, Darwin
- Mellor, D & Haebich, A (2002) Many Voices – Reflection on experiences of Indigenous child separation. National Library of Australia. Canberra
* new Spiritual Practices
- Dadirri deep listening practice – Dr Mirriam Rose Foundation 3 min video overview and pdf download The word, concept and spiritual practice that is dadirri (da-did-ee) is from the Ngan’gikurunggurr and Ngen’giwumirri languages of the Aboriginal peoples of the Daly River region (Northern Territory, Australia).
- The late Uncle Jack Charles guided meditation MP3 audio file 10.34 min This is a relaxing, 10 minute audio mediation voiced by Uncle Jack Charles for NAIDOC week 2020. (Please note: This video features the voice of a person who has passed away).
- Wayapa Wuurrk Meditation 40mins facilitated by Alana Marsh is a Meriam woman, with Irish and PNG heritage, a series of multifaith sessions from The University of Melbourne Centre for Contemplative Practices