The Little Things training kit contains authentic, evidence-based English language training resources that focus on intercultural communication in everyday interactions in aged care. These resources have been primarily designed for Personal Care Assistants (PCAs) from culturally and linguistically diverse (CALD) backgrounds but they are also relevant to PCAs from English speaking backgrounds. The Little Things training kit is designed for use in existing PCA training programs and for professional development in aged care workplaces.
The Little Things Full Training Kit includes:
1 re-usable box set includes enough for 12 students
- 1 box to hold all materials
- A4 Trainer’s manual 100 pages (spiral bound)
- A5 Participant handbook 20 pages (x12 copies)
- A3 posters (x4 copies)
- 3 sets of cards (enough for 12 people in pairs):
- Cue cards (70 cards in each set) x 6 sets
- Relational and practical sorting cards (13 cards in each set) x 6 sets
- Situation and character cards (15 + 6 = 21 cards in each set) x 1 set
- Videos x6
- PPTs x 7 (one full program, six minis)
- PDF Participant Handbook
- PDF of card sets (numbered 1-104)
Non-members $200 including GST (plus postage).
Members $180 including GST – this price will be applied at checkout (plus postage).
Please note the kit and bundle are for small groups and aged care service providers – TAFES and universities may purchase a license to use the materials in your programs.
- You might be interested in The Little Things Training Bundle – manual and USB only.
Contact us for information about train the trainer sessions on Zoom or face to face: email@example.com
More information about the training materials
The materials in The Little Things training kit have been developed to:
- Improve the quality of care for older people offered by PCAs.
- Increase the professional confidence of PCAs as care workers.
- Enhance career prospects for PCAs from all backgrounds.
All resources and activities provided in The Little Things training kit are based on the findings of linguistics research conducted at various aged care homes and Learn Local Registered Training Organisations (LLRTOs) in Melbourne and regional Victoria. Core research activities included:
- Interviews with PCAs, aged care managers and trainers.
- Observation of nominated best-practice PCAs as they worked with older people.
- Audio recordings of nominated best practice PCAs communicating with older people as part of their daily work.
Focusing on how PCAs best communicate with older people, analysis of the research data informed the development of:
- Six short training films.
- Face to face training activities.
- Training that can be conducted via a webinar.
The resources were reviewed by the project steering group to ensure they complied with the Aged Care Quality Standards (2018), could be incorporated into the delivery of CHC33015 Certificate III Individual Support or equivalent and are in line with the holistic care philosophy of Meaningful Ageing Australia.
All training materials were revised following a series of trials with PCAs at aged care organisations that were involved in the research, and trainees and participating LLRTOs.
This Training Kit contains materials for training small groups only. It does not grant permission to use these materials for commercial purposes. If you wish to use these materials for a larger organisation, such as a TAFE, we would be delighted to talk with you about a license to use the materials with larger groups of students.
The Trainers Manual, PowerPoint Presentation and training materials make it possible for service providers and RTOs to independently implement The Little Things training.
- Please note the kit and bundle are for small groups and aged care service providers – TAFES and universities may purchase a license to use the materials in your programs.