You are more than the sum of your health challenges.
Spirituality is the way we seek and express meaning and purpose; the way we experience our connection to the moment, self, others, our world and the significant or sacred. (Adapted from California Lutheran Homes Centre for Spirituality and Ageing)
If you are looking for aged care or other services, you can ask staff in organisations these questions (for yourself or a loved one):
- How will you support me to maintain important connections and relationships?
- What opportunities will I have to reflect on my legacy?
- How will you find out about my sources of hope and how will this be supported?
- Who is available to be with me if I am struggling?
- How is spirituality understood here and how is it integrated into your services?
- Are you a member of Meaningful Ageing Australia?
Meaningful Ageing Australia creates practical resources and promotes the importance of includig spiritual care in all settings where older people are being supported.
You can sign up for our free service provider newsletter to see what we are telling aged care services and connect with us on Facebook. You might be interested in our See me. Know me. initiative.See me. Know me. has its own quarterly newsletter for older people. Sign up here.