Spiritual Care Series
Meaningful Ageing Australia has partnered with the Aged Care Channel (ACC) and Health Television Network (HTN) to produce a series of programs for volunteers, family and friends of older Australians to gain key practical knowledge to offer quality voluntary pastoral and spiritual care. The updated title is the Spiritual Care Series.
- To align with the universal recognition of the importance of spiritual care and the new national guidelines that will be launched soon, the series will now been known as the “Spiritual Care Series”.
- Given the international appeal of this important training tool we are seizing the opportunity to help redefine what good pastoral care looks like within the context and banner of spiritual care.
- Final scripting was completed by mid-June after which an extensive 12 month production schedule commences in both Australia and the UK.
- Broadcaster/Aged Care Presenter – Leigh Hatcher has been recruited for the role of on-camera host and facilitator.
- Prof John Swinton is the expert advisor for the project.
- The series will be launched in Australia in June 2017 together with facilitation and participant manuals.
Why the partnership?
Meaningful Ageing Australia, ACC and HTN share a vision to promote and pursue excellence in the provision of pastoral and spiritual care for the benefit of older people, their significant others and their carers.
The outcome of the partnership will be to develop a program series, which will provide volunteers, family and friends of older people with a recognised standard for delivering pastoral and spiritual care within care settings.
The project will deliver a volunteer education and formation program, which will ensure the participants:
- Develop a broad understanding of the pastoral and spiritual needs of older people
- Understand spirituality and its connection to quality care of older people
- Provide the key practical knowledge required to undertake pastoral and spiritual care within the aged care sector including residential aged care and home care
It will include a series of filmed content as well as facilitator and participant manuals. The package will be available to Meaningful Ageing Australia members at a discounted price.
About ACC and HTN
Everyone at ACC is passionate about improving the quality of care of older people. For over 15 years, HTN has supported the mission of ACC by producing high quality evidence-based educational programs, which promote and respond to the physical, mental and spiritual needs of our ageing population.